Look ahead to a better 2020, says the Global Wellness Institute

“It is now medically proven that being physically active brings tangible economic benefits—most notably better physical and mental health, hence lower medical costs,” says Susie Ellis, leader of The Global Wellness Institute.

Her crystal ball for 2020 is led by Wellness is in the Driver’s Seat. She wants the ball to concentrate on Wellness for People and Planet, to broaden thinking and adjust businesses so that we are not just talking about wellness for people, but also wellness for our planet. She stresses Wellness for All, and
Wellness AND Wellbeing: Not One or the Other (both words are important, even as they develop in slightly different directions).

All this makes business sense. As Susie Ellis says, “A new study by think-tank Rand Europe for the Vitality Group states that being physically more active for a few extra minutes a day could give the global economy a boost in the hundreds of billions of dollars.

“Using a standard macroeconomic model, the study concludes that making people physically more active (under three different physical activity improvement scenarios) would generate the following economic benefits:

  1. an increase in global GDP ranging from US$138bn to US$338bn by 2025, and rising over time to US$314–$760 bn by 2050;
  2. savings in global healthcare expenditures ranging from US$8.7bn to US$11.2bn and rising to $16–20.6 billion by 2050.

“Interestingly, presenteeism drives about 70% of economic gain, with reduced mortality and sickness absence accounting for the remaining 30%. The takeaway and a no-brainer: Physical activity will increasingly become an ever more core component of the wellness offering and a bigger focus for governments.”

“Some of this is already apparent at corporate level, with the twin purpose of (1) increasing overall levels of physical activity while (2) benefiting the environment. Some companies are nudging or incentivising employees through various means (ranging from showers at work to cash vouchers) to engage in physical, work-related activity while at the same time traveling sustainably to work. Businesses such as Patagonia or Honest Tea even pay employees to engage in “bike-to-work” programmes.”  www.globalwellnessinstitute.com

LUXURY TRAVEL ESSENTIAL asks the industry: “Are you, managers of everyone involved in travel, tourism and hospitality, taking note?”

Leave a Reply